2016 was the first year of the Outside Change Cup & Freedom To Dance Ball, it was a huge gamble, and a very big task to undertake to get this event underway as there was really nothing like it anywhere in Australia.
With the help of so many people starting with our event consultants, Brent Olifent and Anna Longmore, the encouragement of Anthony Hurley and Richard & Anne Gleave of the Freedom To Dance movement, the fabulous New Zealand Ambassador Viktoria Morgan, and of course the support of the dancing community in Melbourne and right across Australia and Asia, this event has gone from strength to strength in it’s 4 years of running.
The first year was extremely difficult for the local dancing community to understand the concept, justify the pricing and the format. People were very sceptical to begin with as this sort of event only ever happened throughout Asia, but never in Australia of this scale and grandeur.
In our 3rd year, we had a fully booked venue and in 2019 we had a long wait list for table seats and, our 2021 event, the 5th OC Cup is a total sell out once again with a huge wait list of people wanting to attend for the evening Dinner/Ball.
Over the years, we have had some amazing international adjudicators attend, these wonderful people have been;
- Charlotte Jorgensen (USA) 2016
- Luka Fanni (Italy) 2016 & 2017
- Doug Pouwhare (New Zealand) 2016
- John Tan (Singapore) 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Anthony Hurley (UK) 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Karen Hardy (UK) 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Viktoria Morgan (New Zealand) 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Kingsley Gainsford (New Zealand) 2018 & 2109
- Angelo Madonia (Italy) 2018
- Nami Shoji (Japan) 2019
- Hanna Karttunen (Finland) 2019
Some of the wonderful memories over the years can be seen below in some images supplied to us from various people. We have had some amazing times, and the organising committee of 2021 look forward to bringing you the most amazing Outside Change Cup & Freedom To Dance Ball to date.
- Jason Beaman – Organiser
- Brent Olifent – Event Consultant
- Anna Longmore – International Relations
- Viktoria Morgan – New Zealand Ambassador